The recipe is pretty easy:
Makes twelve 2-inch scones
1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons or 140 g) unsalted butter
1/2 cup (125 ml) cold unsweetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup (100 g) cranberries
1 cup (140 g) superfine brown rice flour
1 cup (90 g) quinoa flakes, plus more for topping
1/3 cup (45 g) quinoa flour
1/3 cup (40 g) tapioca starch
1/3 cup (70 g) natural cane sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon demerara sugar, for topping
1. Place the butter in the freezer at least 30 minutes before beginning.
2. Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
3. Mix the coconut milk and lemon juice in a bowl and chill for 5 minutes.
4. Coarsely chop the cranberries in the food processor and set them aside.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the superfine brown rice flour, quinoa flakes, quinoa flour, tapioca starch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Take the butter out of the freezer and grate it using the large holes in a box grater. Gently toss the butter into the flour mixture, but try not to touch it too much, as the warmth from your hands can melt it.
6. Whisk 1 egg into the coconut milk mixture. Add this mixture to the flour-and-butter base and fold with a wooden spatula until it comes together. Fold in the chopped cranberries.
7. Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead it a few times until it comes together. Form a disk, pat it down, and roll it out to a 3/4-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter dipped in superfine brown rice flour, cut out the scones and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Re-roll scraps once and cut again.
8. Whisk the remaining egg in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash. Sprinkle demerara sugar and quinoa flakes on top of each scone.
9. Bake the scones until golden brown, about 18 minutes. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes and then cool them completely on a wire rack. They keep well at room temperature for 2 days, or they can be frozen for up to 1 month.
Have a tasty breakfast!